Friday, January 25, 2013

HP EliteBook 8460p/8560p Fingerprint Sensor/Software

After a days research I could get it working in couple of ways :) Here is the easiest way that I could find to start using the fingerprint sensor in your EliteBook.

1. Install the Validity Fingerpint driver
2. HP ProtectTools Security Manager

I had issues while installing the above version of ProtectTools (could be because I tried different versions of drivers & software from HP to get it work and I could messed up the registry).

These steps by msawyer91 taken from HP Discussion Boards worked for me.
  1. Launch Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
  2. Drill down to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa.
  3. Here you should see a multi-string value (REG_MULTI_SZ) named "Notification Packages".  (In my case this was missing.)
  4. If this value does not exist, create it.  Right-click in the right-hand pane and choose "New > Multi-String Value."  (It's very important you choose Multi-String Value.)  Name it Notification Packages (there is a space in the name).
  5. Double-click on Notification Packages to edit it.
  6. Type the value scecli on the first line, then click OK.
  7. Close Registry Editor.
  8. Retry the installation.
After a reboot you need to enable 'Windows Logon Security' in HP ProtectTools and entroll two of your fingers as your authentication credentials.

You are done :)

8 comments:

  1. I used both drivers. This method still works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Installiong HP ProtectTools Security Manager broke my login screen :(
    It wouldn't show the input field and stayed blank and refreshed every sec.
    I had to login in to Safe Mode and uninstalling it through some registry hack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How please am also going through dis probelm

      Delete
    2. I meant hw u fixed the login probelm

      Delete
  3. Thanks it worked fine for me. .

    ReplyDelete
  4. someone help me, my laptop screen is blinking blue and it doesnt open after i installed that software

    ReplyDelete